Molten Core Swimteam

Exodar [H]
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to: Set up vent keybinds (VERY USEFUL)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:15 am 
 E-mail  Profile

I took this right off the highborne guild site. These keybindings are extremely useful in fights where you seperate into smaller groups. Please ignore the highborne character names used, they are for references only.

Overview: What Is a Keybinding?
In short, most people are familiar with Ventrilo's basic function--sending/receiving audio to their current channel. What they don't realize, however, is that Ventrilo is actually much more powerful when you take the time to properly set it up and you know how to use it. In this brief tutorial, I'm going to show exactly how to utilize the "user to user" feature.

What is User to User (i.e. U2U)?
Basically, just like you have a "push to talk key" to talk to your current channel, you can set up other keys to talk to specific people. As you can imagine, this will allow you to communicate with someone privately without cluttering the main Vent channel with your irrelevant-to-everyone-but-one-person chatter. This feature also works cross-channel; you do not have to be in the same channel as the person you're sending the U2U keybind to!

Tutorial:

1) Create a new "Bindings" Set:
At the top of your Ventrilo window, you'll see "User Name," "Server," and "Bindings." Assuming you've never screwed around with "Bindings" before, it will show as "(None)" in the dropdown menu. In order to get started, simply click on the "->" button to the right of the dropdown (just as you would to create a new User Name or add a new server).

Once you do this, you'll get a new window which opens up. At the very top of that window, click on "New" to create a new Bindings set. For the sake of example, we're going to name this one "Flame Leviathan" because, obviously, we're setting this up for the purposes of that specific fight. As you can imagine, you can later create more Binding sets for other fights, which is useful if you want to reuse the same buttons for different purposes depending on what you're doing.

So, again, the "Bindings" set contains individual bindings which we'll create in a moment. If, for example, I want my "1" key to be "talk to Achelous only" for Flame Leviathan, I set it up as such. If, though, when we get to Iron Council, I want my "1" key to be "talk to Ghostmane," all I'd need to do is select "Iron Council" from the Bindings dropdown at the top of Ventrilo and that will automatically change all my Vent keybindings to the "Iron Council" set.

2) Creating the Individual U2U Binding:
After you create "Flame Leviathan" as your new Bindings set (i.e. "Bind name," at the top), it's time to create the U2U binding(s). To do this, click on the "Add" button at the lower right of the "Setup Bindings" window and a new window will appear.

In this new window, you're going to see a ton of bind options (which I won't cover here) but the one we're concerned about right now is "PTT Advanced" (which is probably selected by default. Make sure it's selected and then click on the button (literally, with your finger) that you want to associate with this bind. For the sake of this example, I'm going to opt to use Numpad 9 (i.e. the 9 key on my number pad on the right side of my keyboard).

WARNING: DO NOT USE THE SAME KEY YOU USE FOR "PUSH TO TALK" AS YOUR U2U KEYBIND KEY!!!

After you click the key you want to use, it will show in the white text field at the bottom and, after that's done, click on the "OK" button. This brings you to yet another screen. As you can probably guess, you're going to want to click on "User-to-User (U2U)" and then, at the bottom, type in the exact name of the person you're wanting to send the bind to. After that, just click "OK."

I recommend NOT choosing the "Mute" options at the bottom!

3) Adding More Binds/Using the Binds/Etc:
Once all that's done, you should see your keybind displayed under "Flame Leviathan." Basically, it's just a way of seeing "which key is it using, what does it do and who/what specifically does it do it to." In our case, it's "when I press this key, only this person can hear me." If you like, you can set up more keybinds to other people or, as was mentioned earlier, create different keybind sets for different purposes.

4) "The Next Level:"
Aside from U2U, as you've probably already seen/guessed, you can also setup binds to send your voice to different channels (something which would be fairly useful for something like Thorim), *move* yourself to other channels, activate different binding sets, etc. It's pretty spiffy.

If You Want Your U2U Bind to Talk to MULTIPLE People:
Yes, it's possible. If, for example, I wanted to have my "1" key to allow me to talk to Vedor and Acherus at once, all I'd do is use all their names--without spaces--when entering the name field in the U2U window.

It would look like this:
Vedor,Acherus